Sunday, March 19, 2006

Holding Oscar but flirting with George

Although my brother and I host an Oscar party every year (this was #5) there are only 3 things that come to mind to say about this one:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS CORINNE! Corinne Marrinan, sister of my good friend Amy Davidson, won an Oscar for Best Documentary Short Subject for "A Note of Triumph: The Golden Age of Norman Corwin." She looked gorgeous and graceful as she accepted the Oscar and thanked her family, including Amy, who joined her at the ceremony and was shown in the audience. She also thanked the Academy for seating her next to George Clooney at the nominees luncheon. Here's the clip of her acceptance speech.
  2. Jon Stewart did a respectable job but is definitely more at home in New York than LA. His beginning was a bit painful for me as a dedicated Daily Show fan - he's so good at avoiding the "I'm reading from a teleprompter" stare on the show, but for the Oscar opener he was so deliberate and careful that you could picture every word scrolling and you could almost see the sweat drops popping on him like a Speedracer cartoon. He did find his stride quickly though (the video about how ungay the old Hollywood cowboys really were must have helped - that was the funniest thing all night). I hope he does host it again, although my favorite is still Steve Martin. One of the reasons they asked J Stew is because they're trying to up the viewership by appealing to a younger audience. How about you up the viewership by giving us more time to view these movies!!! It's getting ridiculous having the movies released at 11:59:59pm on December 31st to a 5 person audience to get it in as late as possible and still qualify. It's harder and harder to get excited about the nominees with no time to see all of them ahead of time. I get it, you make more money because the movie is in the theater during hype-time. But no one I talked to was able to see more than 1 or 2 of the movies ahead of time, which kind of kills the suspense.
  3. Last note: I kept waiting for Charlize Theron's killer blob of a bow to suck her head off of her neck. This was the only major fashion mistake I noticed as I was hosting, but luckily I have the lovely ladies at Go Fug Yourself to help me catch up on the rest. My favorite post is the one they did about Sharon Stone and Lindsay Lohan. It just sparkles with catty goodness. Enjoy!